Leya Marie Art
paintings by Leya Deschuymer
2016 Solo exhibit by Leya Marie Deschuymer at Touchstones Museum Nelson, BC Canada
2012 "New Work by Leya Marie Deschuymer"
Hinton Municipal Library Hinton, Alberta Canada
2011 “In the Language of our Natural World” Hinton Municipal Library Hinton, Alberta Canada
2009 New Work Queenswood Retreat Center Victoria, British Columbia Canada
2015 Edith to Everest (Jasper Artists Guild and Viet Tieu) a collaboration with the Thinking Mountains Conference 2015
University of Alberta
2011 Alberta Spirit (ACACA award winners) Chris W. Carson Executive Director Visual Arts Alberta Association Gallery Edmonton, Alberta
2011 Alberta Wide 2011 32nd Annual Exhibition Alberta Community Art Club Association Juried Competition Semi-Finalists Jurors: Sharon Moore Foster, James Trevelyan, Linda Cullen-Saik. Red Deer Museum and Art Gallery
2011 Northern Zone Show Juried Art Competition Jurors: Brenda Kim Christiansen, Jeffrey Collins, James E. Trevelyan.
2010-2012 International Strokes for Hope Goodwill Tour
- Red Bluff Art Gallery California U.S.A., December 2010
- Dayton Missing Peace Art Space Dayton, Ohio U.S.A
- March 2011
- Hinton Municipal Library Hinton, Alberta Canada
- May 31-July 31, 2011
- Maynard Gallery, Welwyn Garden City UK
- September 12-October 15, 2011
- April 2012 Yellowhead Rotary Arts Festival, Best Painting in category, "Dunes at Dusk"
- August 2011 Hildur Sherbeck Award, awarded by Alberta Community Art Club Association for the painting, “Standing Alone”.
- April 2011 Yellowhead Rotary Arts Festival , Best Paintings in category, “The Melt” and “Standing Alone”.
- April 2010 Yellowhead Rotary Arts Festival, Best Painting in Category, “Cedar”.
- Aldrich, Jeffrey Art Takes Times Square. 2012.USA:Signature Book Printing p.72
Wissmath, M. (October 2013) Brule Painter Escapes Despair to Find Inner Artist. The Hinton Parklander, p.4.
Waugh, T. (May 2012) Artist to Exhibit 'Ambitious' Collection. The Hinton Voice, p.14.
- Dynan, Phil Strokes for Hope International Touring Art Exhibit. 2011. California:Blue Oaks Arts pp.26-27
- Gray, M. (June 2011) International art tour headed for Hinton library. The Hinton Parklander, p.13.
- “Red Deer Art Gallery and Museum 2011”. Alberta Wide 2011 32nd Annual Exhibition Alberta Community Art Club Association [Brochure].
- Geymonat, L. (April 2011) Inspired by Healing. The Fitzhugh, p.13.
- Olsen, E.(March 2011)Out of the Shadows: an artist’s journey. The Hinton Voice, p.14.
- Russell, T.(February 2011) Natural Beauty. The Hinton Parklander, p.3.
- Burns, S. (May 2011) Hinton Artists Advance. The Hinton Voice, p.13
- Jasper Artists Guild
- Saltspring Island Painter's Guild
- Hinton Art Club
Leya recently moved from Saltspring Island B.C. to Windsor in December 2016. Leya was raised in the Alberta Rocky Mountains which is the inspiration for a lot of Leya's work. Leya also spent time on Vancouver Island in 2009 where she regained her passion for painting after not painting for many years.
Her artistic inflluence is mainly from her mother, Carly Deschuymer, who taught Leya the fundamentals in art through drawing and watercolour. It was in November 2009 when Leya found her unique expression. Leya started working in oil pastels while on Vancouver Island and continues to work in oil pastels today. Leya's subject matter varies from local landscapes, trees and forest scenes as well as portraits.